Egyptian Scientific Institute
The Ministry of State for Antiquities has selected Beit Al-Sennari (Sennari House) as the temporary location for the Egyptian Scientific Institute until its restoration is complete. All rescued books from the institute, burned during clashes between protesters and the army last month, have now been transferred for storage at the Sennari House in Cairo’s Sayeda Zeinab district. Sennari House was the original location of the scientific institute established by Napoleon Bonaparte’s French expedition to Egypt in 1798 as a counterpart to the French Scientific Institute in Paris.
A fire that erupted in Egypt’s Institute for the Advancement of Scientific Research has resulted in the loss of several precious manuscripts. Nearly 30,000 books were rescued out of a total of around 196,000 in the institute’s collection